Sunday, June 14, 2009

In Memoriam

It's difficult to say goodbye to a close friend, especially one who has been with you through the world's ups and downs and supported you through some of life's most difficult trails.

After 16 years, I bid farewell to a dear and intimate friend, my Selle Italia Flite saddle.

Thanks for the memories old pal. RIP.


I'm always disappointed when an obituary doesn't give the cause of death, so for those of you with strong stomaches, here are the details.

A few weeks ago, while riding my bike I heard the jingle of metal bouncing on rocks and felt in my bones, my sit bones to be precise, that something terrible had happened. When I went back for a look, there, lying in the dirt and rocks of the trail, I saw a small length of titanium.

There was no sign of trauma or a struggle and I think I would have noticed any foul play, so, although there was not a formal autopsy performed, I think I can say with some confidence that the cause was a combination of fatigue and complications of old age.

No comments: