Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Announcing 2008 The Year of Timpanogos


Last summer I read Felice Benuzzi's No Picnic on Mount Kenya: A Daring Escape, A Perilous Climb (a book that is much better than its title) and it got me thinking.

Growing up, Mt Timpanogos in Utah's Wasatch Range served me (on a smaller scale) in much the same way that Mt Kenya served Felice and his companions, providing a much needed escape from the everyday and the troubles of the teen age.

The book and reminiscing combined to give me the idea that it might be fun to hike the mountain in all 4 seasons by 4 different routes in 2008. Then I thought, why not declare 2008 The Year of Timpanogos and try to do something fun on the mountain in every month of the year.

So, last month I kicked off The Year of Timpanogos with a ski trip from Aspen Grove to the summit of the Alpine Loop and a return trip on the east side of the mountain west of the road.

I posted a few pictures of the trip here.

No comments: